The choirs and instrumental ensembles of the Castle Church give witness to a spirited faith life of the church in worhsip and concerts through word and music. They invite visitors from near and far to take part in this spirit. A wide array of musical expressions, from traditional to contemporary, can be heard in the performances of the Schola Cantorum Adam Rener, the Gospel Choir, the Handbell Choir and the Brass Ensemble of the Castle Church.
Schola Cantorum Adam Rener
The liturgical chamber choir of the Castle Church gets its name from Adam Rener (1482-1520), Court Chapel Composer under Frederick the Wise in the Castle Church at the time of Luther. As a liturgical chamber choir, the Schola Cantorum Adam Rener regularly sings in the Evensong series in the Castle Church with an emphasis on a capella literature from varying musical periods. The choir can also be heard in the Cantata-Worship-Service on Easter Monday as well as other worship services.
Gospelchor der Schlosskirche
Going 60 members strong, the Gospel Choir is the largest ensemble of the Castle Church and outfitted in „Gospel Choir purple“ not to be overlooked! The Gospel Choir has specialized in traditional gospel music and spirituals as well as new gospel music from the United States. Through its two choir tours to the United States, giving many concerts and taking part in workshops, the choir has grown immensely. In Wittenberg and the surrounding area, they lead worship and give concerts in various settings.
Handbell Ensemble of the Castle Church
Through the initiative of a Handbell Choir in California and the generosity of a Lutheran congregation in California, the Castle Church was able to found its own Handbell ensemble in 2011. Handbells - well-known instruments in the United States - are played in a „choir“. Each player has 2-4 bells to play. The now 12 players of our ensemble play these special instruments with joy and add that special touch to worship and concerts.
Brass Ensemble of the Castle Church
The Brass Ensemble of the Castle Church adds a fresh sound to hymn accompaniments and worship music in its unique instrumentation – from trumpets and trombones to saxophones. They can be heard in festal worship services - such as the reformation day service – as well as in concerts and at festivals in and around the Castle Church.
The historic Ladegast organ built in 1863 can be found in the rear balcony. A complete modernisation of this romantic instrument in 1935 including the addition of an electro-pneumatic system and the addition of some new ranks, was not of lasting quality. In 1994 a complete restoration of the instrument and the addition of the third manual was carried out by the organ building company Eule from Bautzen. Today the organ has four manuals, pedal, 57 ranks and 3500 pipes. The original tracker action was restored.
>> Nun danket alle Gott
>> Priére à Notre Dame
The chancel organ was originally built in 1965 by the organ building company Schuke of Potsdam and had its place in the great hall of the Protestant Preaching Seminary. Due to the move of the Seminary into the Castle building, the organ was moved and installed behind the choir stalls in the Castle Church in 2016. The organ now has a moveable console, a new electric action, 2 manuals and pedal, 16 ranks and 1111 pipes! The installation work in 2016 was also done by Schuke of Potsdam.